This tutorial will show how you can access and handle your Zentyal Server Development Edition as a Primary Domain Controller from a Windows Based System utilizing remote software application on a Windows Computer.
Zentyal PDC (Primary Domain Controller) practically completely mimics a fundamental Windows Active Directory, which indicates you can establish users and groups, file sharing, include brand-new domains or brand-new records in your DNS server, and established Group Policy Setting for all users and computer systems that are in fact incorporated into Active Directory.
Making really simple for you to handle security for a a great deal of accounts and computer systems while doing this with simply one fundamental license for a Windows Computer (you will never ever need to purchase or touch a Windows Server license).
Step 1: Integrate Windows System in PDC Domain
1. Logon with administrator regional account and go to the left side on the taskbar and click right on the network icon, then Open Network and Sharing Center and click Ethernet.
2. Go to adapter Properties and choose IPv4 and after that choose Properties.
3. Setup your own network connections address, netmask, entrance, and DNS ( Make sure that your very first DNS here is the Zentyal PDC IP address).
4. Click OKAY and the Close on all windows. Now it’s time to see if the network setups are the appropriate ones and whatever works fine. Right-click Start -> Command Prompt and attempt to ping your domain.
Warn!!: If you cannot see the appropriate IP address of Zentyal PDC. Open a Command Prompt(Admin) and go into the following command.
And then attempt to ping “tecmint.com“. You should also try the “nslookup” command to see the domain IP address.
5. Now open the “This PC” faster way and go to System Properties -> Computer Name -> Change.
Enter a Computer Name ( attempt something more detailed like WIN10_REMOTE_PDC) and your domain in the Member of Domain field, hit Enter, enter your Administrator username and password ( In this case on my previous tutorial I have actually established on Zentyal PDC the user “ravi” with administrator powers).
6. After your qualifications are confirmed by Samba on Zentyal Server you will be triggered with a success alert, then reboot your system to be able to sign up with and logon on to a domain.
7. After reboot on timely go into: domain_nameAdministrator username and password.
Step 2: Manage Remote Zentyal PDC from Windows System
Now that whatever is appropriate and working is time to set up the software application required to remote gain access to Zentyal PDC Samba Server.
8. Open a web browser and go to Remote Server Administration Tool for Windows 10 and download Windows taste (x64 or x86) motorists, wait to your computer system and run it.
9. After this piece of software application is set up reboot and after that go to Control Panel –> System and Security –> Administrative Tools and choose Active Directory Users and Computers, Group Policy Management, and DNS and Send all 3 as a faster way to Desktop.
10. Now let’s attempt a remote connection to the DNS server over Zentyal PDC and include a CNAME for zentyal. Open DNS and go into FQDN (completely certified domain) for the Zentyal PDC server as in the screenshot listed below.
11. Go to your PDC FQDN, choose your domain, and include New Host.
12. Go and include a brand-new CNAME and after that attempt ping your brand-new alias.
13. As you can see the outcome the CNAME smb for pdc.mydomain.com has actually been effectively contributed to Zentyal Server and is entirely practical.
Now open a web browser and point your domain address of PDC server address ( https://192.168.0.128:8443 ) then go to DNS Module and include brand-new forwarders ( I pick my default entrance and a Google Public DNS, you pick what much better fits your requirements).
14. Then include a brand-new alias for your domain, this time included from Zentyal Web Interface. Click on Alias, Add New, go into alias name (CNAME) end then struck ADD.
15. Hit on Save Changes for the brand-new setting to use and return to Windows 10 DNS and examine if the record has actually been upgraded.
16. Zentyal DNS Server and DNS Remote Software are completely functional from both sides so we can now include as numerous records as we require to our DNS server.
Now is time to have fun with Users and Groups, Open Active Directory Users and Computers, browse to your domain, choose Users and include a New Group.
Enter your Group Name and choose Distribution in Group Type ( picking Security will permit Administrative rights and we don’t desire this for our user) and Global in Group Scope and struck OK.
17. Then browse to Users and Add a New User, finish the needed fields, established a password for this user – even require the user to alter the password on the next login.
18. Now back to Users and Computers Module –> Manage. We can see that our anusha has actually been produced on the Zentyal PDC server and we can now incorporate him into among our Groups. Let’s say Allowed_Users Group.
19. Now let’s attempt to include a New User from Zentyal Web Interface. Select Users, go to the green
"+" button, choose User once again and enter your qualifications for this brand-new user.
After the user is produced you can incorporate him into a group (optional).
20. And now return to Windows Active Directory Users and Computers and confirm if the brand-new ronav belongs to Allowed_Users Group.
21. You likewise have a great deal of tweaks for setting users like in a genuine Windows Server (modification passwords on logon, go into a phone number, address, modification profile course, and so on ).
22. As the last setup for this tutorial go to Domain Module on Zentyal Server and check “Enable roaming profiles” for your users to have access to files and settings, have the exact same desktop experience to any computer system they logon on your domain.
23. The server keeps strolling profiles under the “/home/samba/profiles” course so you can browse to this course for remote administration by utilizing a command-line program like Putty or WinSCP.
24. By default Zentyal utilizes sudo for root advantage security. So if you wish to allow a root account on the server download and set up Putty on your Windows system and link through SSH utilizing the server’s IP address or domain.
To allow root account to link through ssh with username and password produced on system setup and after that type next command “sudo passwd“, go into and verify password (this will assist you later on for total administrative jobs on a Graphical User Interface linking through WinSCP.
25. To established Group Policy on Users and Computers simply click the Group Policy Management faster way that earlier was produced on Desktop.
Now you have complete remote administrative gain access to to your Zentyal PDC services: DNS, Active Directory, Users and Groups, Group Policy, Local system gain access to through command line or GUI, and remote web access through https procedure from a Windows-based system.
This experiment was done utilizing a regional personal network with web gain access to through NAT, the domain has actually been picked arbitrarily (any similarity with an authorized domain is Purely Coincidental) and the node devices were set up utilizing virtualization software application such as VirtualBox.
If You Appreciate What We Do Here On TecMint, You Should Consider:
TecMint is the fastest growing and most relied on neighborhood website for any type of Linux Articles, Guides and Books online. Millions of individuals check out TecMint! to browse or search the countless released short articles readily available easily to all.
If you like what you read, please think about purchasing us a coffee ( or 2 ) as a token of gratitude.
We are grateful for your never ever ending assistance.